Information and resources for applicants and participants
- How do I take part?
- When and where will my residential course take place?
- What are the other important dates I need to know?
- Learning resources
How do I take part?
- Complete the online application form
- Download and complete the contract and medical form from the bottom of this page, then post the completed paperwork to us at this address:
The Mark Scott Leadership for Life Award
The Outward Bound Trust
152 Bath Street
Glasgow G2 4TB
- If you can’t print at home, and can’t get it printed at school, then please contact us to be sent a form by post
- Once we have reviewed all applications from your area, we will be in touch to let you know if you have a place.
- We fill places in waves throughout the summer so you may not hear anything from us for a while – don’t worry though! An offer of a place may even come in the Autumn term depending on how places are filled in your area.
- If accepted as a participant, confirm your place with payment of the £20 non-refundable administration fee (this is all you have to pay for the whole award)
- Your School Champion can accept cash, or cheques made payable to “The Mark Scott Leadership for Life Award Programme”
- We will send you an email confirming receipt of the admin fee and your position of fully confirmed participant. Congratulations!
If you are accepted as a participant, but we are then unable to contact you, we may need to give your place to someone else, so please ensure you regularly monitor your e-mail address, or get someone else to do it for you if you are on holiday.
If you are accepted as a participant but decide later that you no longer wish to take part then you must contact us as soon as possible so that we can give your place to someone else. If you do not tell us in time, we may not be able to fill your place and our funder’s money will not be able to be used to help a young person.
When and where will my residential course take place?
Our 2017 residential courses will take place between August and October at Howtown and Loch Eil. You can see which week you’re likely to be going away for at this page: The Residential. Bear in mind that some schools might be sending people on more than one week, so check carefully – we will email you with your course dates anyway.
What are the other important dates I need to know?
The dates of the milestone events in the programme depend on which residential course you attend. See the table below for details. Attendance at these events – and at the community project which you will arrange – is compulsory to gain the full Award.
|Residential||Project Forum||Refresh Day||Project deadline||Final review|
|28th August – 1st September, Howtown||19th October||27th or 29th November||29th January 2018||5th February 2018|
|11th September – 15th September, Loch Eil||25th October||13th December||12th February 2018||19th February 2018|
|25th September – 29th September, Loch Eil||7th November||18th or 19th December||26th February 2018||5th March 2018|
|9th October – 13th October, Loch Eil||15th November||10th or 12th January 2018||12th March 2018||19th March 2018|
- Paperwork pack (pdf) – contains participant contract and medical form. This is what you need to fill in once you have applied.
- Joining instructions – PARTICIPANT INFORMATION – Howtown (docx) – information for those attending the course at Howtown.
- Joining instructions – PARTICIPANT INFORMATION – Loch Eil (docx) – information for those attending any of the courses at Loch Eil. You will need to travel to Glasgow to get our coach to Loch Eil.
- Community research – about your community – you need to complete this before your residential (.docx)
- Logbook blank – a printout of the questions in the online logbook (pdf)
For your project team meetings
For the Project Forum
- Preparing for your Project Forum (pdf)
- Community Project Aims Grid (docx)
- Project Timeline blank (pdf)
Developing your community project
- Overview (pdf)
- Stages outline (pdf)
- What you need to produce at each stage (pdf)
- Example tasks (pdf)
- Research and outline planning phase (pdf)
- Detailed planning phase (pdf)
- Development phase (pdf)
- Managing changes to your project (pdf)
- Stakeholder management tools (docx)
The planning tools